You often hear that coffee cannot possibly be good for you. Caffeine becomes addicting, as your body becomes so reliant on a cup to wake itself up in the morning that many of us coffee-heads struggle without it. Well, great news for all of you coffee addicts, it’s good for you! Below you will find 10 benefits to drinking coffee. I will make it a point to add here that I am by no means insisting that the sugary, milky, ohsodelicious lattes are good for you, but a cup of regular coffee, is perfectly fine!
Research done over a 14 year span of 400,000 people has discovered the following:
1) Both men and women of all ethnicities that drink coffee daily are at a lower risk of mortality.
2) Lower your risk of a variety of cancers (lung, prostate, breast, endometrial, pancreatic, stomach and colon cancer. This is due to the antioxidants found in coffee.
3) Lowers risk heart disease and heart attack. A high intake of coffee is increasingly protective against cardiovascular disease. One 15 year study examined over 41,000 women with an intake of at least 3 cups a day showed that it lowered their risk of heart failure.
4) Coffee does NOT raise blood pressure and increases nitric oxide production in the endothelium which improves vascular muscle tone. It can increase short term acute blood pressure, but does lower your blood pressure long term.
5) Coffee intake improves cholesterol health. The antioxidants improve total cholesterol, raising good “HDL” and lowering inflammation related heart disease.
6) Coffee decreases metabolic syndrome risk. This is the combination of obesity, large waist circumference, and insulin resistance which all ultimately increase risk of heart disease.
7) Coffee improves body composition and elevates fat burning! Coffee modulates blood sugar and improves insulin sensitivity.
8) Caffeine increases strength and power performance. Caffeine is assumed to act directly on the muscles instead of the nervous system.
9) It speeds recovery and reduces muscle soreness. It can do this by up to 48%. It can also improve performance for a second workout in the same day. It mobilizes fatty acids to be burned for fuel during exercise.
10) It increases motivation and reaction time!
For more details on each of these benefits, please visit Ten Benefits of Coffee for Health, Performance, and Body Composition.